SHM Membership Access
What is the Society of Hospital Medicine?
The Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM) is the premier organization developed specifically to support and enhance the practice of hospital medicine and delivery of patient care in the hospital setting.
The Society of Hospital Medicine represents hospitalists, who are dedicated to the care of hospitalized patients and support:
- Patient care
- Practice management
Benefits of Membership in the Society of Hospital Medicine
- Enhanced professional satisfaction through a peer network of more than 14,000 members
- Access to Hospital Medicine Exchange (HMX), the online community for hospitalists
- Complimentary subscriptions to The Hospitalist news magazine and the Journal of Hospital Medicine, the first peer-reviewed journal in this specialty (now included in Medline)
- Access to free and discounted on-demand CME through the SHM Learning Portal
- Local chapters—Engage, learn and network locally
- Special interest sections—Engage around care models and interest areas
- Member discounts on educational events including the SHM annual meeting, the SHM Leadership Academy and select resources available in the online store
- Access to the SHM Career Center with top-of-the-line functionality
- Opportunities to obtain Fellow in Hospital Medicine designations (FHM, SFHM, MHM)
- Program discounts on medical liability insurance through The Doctors Company
- Free and discounted coding services from The Coding Network
- The chance to affect the hospital medicine movement through the SHM Legislative Action Center
- Access to all of the SHM online educational Resource Rooms
Learn more, download SHM’s membership brochure below:
Society of Hospital Medicine Membership Dues
$385 per year
$375 per year
Allied health professionals
$215 per year
NPs and PAs
$215 per year
$100 per year
International members (outside of US and Canada)
$115 per year
Corporate Membership: Starting at $10,000/year
Discounts are available. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the online application to join here.
- Logon and renew your membership here.
- Download the printable application and mail or fax it to the following address:
Society of Hospital Medicine
1500 Spring Garden Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Who is Eligible to Join the Society of Hospital Medicine?
Physicians — Practicing hospitalist physicians (including those focused on research or education). Physician members are eligible to vote.
Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants — Practicing hospitalist NPs and PAs (including those focused on research or education). Nurse Practitioner and Physician Assistant members are eligible to vote.
Affiliates — Non-clinicians working in hospital medicine (including practice administrators, healthcare policy analysts, medical librarians, etc.) Affiliate members are eligible to vote.
Allied Health Professionals — Registered nurses, hospital pharmacists and other non-physician clinicians. Allied health members are eligible to vote.
Residents/Fellows — Physicians in residency and fellowship programs. Members cannot vote until they become physician members.
Medical Students — Individuals enrolled in accredited medical programs (includes MD, DO, NP, PA etc.) Medical student members pay no dues and are not eligible to vote.
International Members — non-US and non-Canadian individuals are eligible to join SHM at a reduced membership rate with unique benefits. International members are eligible to vote.
**Discounts are available for group memberships (comprising 10 or more individuals)**
Contact the Membership department for more information or call 800-843-3360.